Tuesday, July 20, 2010

i naenda Kenya!

That's Swahili for I'M GOING TO KENYA!!!!! Mic and I leave for Mombasa, Kenya on the 23rd of August and we're both extremely excited! I never thought of Kenya as much of a vacation destination, but apparently the beaches on the Southern coast are very beautiful. We'll be staying in our own bungalow at Severin Sea Lodge, getting our inebriation on, on account of our all-inclusive package. We'll do some of the offered excursions accompanied by a few days of safari life! We are both beyond excited! It will be my first time to Africa and continent #4 that I've been on, so as you can imagine, I'm pumped!



These next few weeks will be very busy for me. We'll be scrambling around getting vaccinations and visas and I'm expecting visitors! My good friend, Kettia, who I haven't seen since high school will visit me next week! I'll pick her up on Wednesday morning and I'm very excited to see her! It'll be nice to see a friendly familiar face and catch up on our lives over the years. About a week later, Mayra comes to Holland! Mic and I visited her and her now husband a few months ago in Spain and it'll be fantastic to hear about the changes in her life and hang out on familiar territory since I initially met her here. Then it's on to KENYA!

I can't complain about life right now. I'm happy and healthy (if you disregard the alcohol we drink on the weekends, which is actually lessening so that's better for me). Mic is great and we're getting more and more settled in our life together. He still drives me crazy sometimes but I wouldn't have it any other way. The weather has been amazing which really does wonders for my mood and we just concluded the climactic 3rd season of The Wire which was great. The only thing that would make life even better is if we were living  elsewhere. I'm feeling a bit stagnant and could do without some Dutch rules and regulations.

I miss my family and friends very much and wish I could add their names to my list of visitors this month. My dad and sister Sabine, are currently in Haiti visiting family members and I wish I could've gone. It'd be great if I could make it there within the next year but unfortunately, it's a lot easier said than done. Hopefully I'll be able to see my hometown loves around September/October but I also need to make my way back home sooner than later. I am dying to have shrimp and broccoli with white rice from my favorite Chinese restaurant in Stamford and happy hour at Kona. While we're on the subject of things I want, I've been dying to go to a wedding (I love reasons to get all dressed up and open bars). Lots of couples in Holland never marry so my chances are slim here, meaning you broads at home need to step your game up!! D, I'm tryna be a maid of honor so get it together!

Instead of spending my time doing productive things like working on my book, I spend it reading gossip blogs, researching more places to visit, reading news articles and browsing funny videos. This one has been cracking me up.. Enjoy!