Wednesday, July 28, 2010

come home, we need you in Stamford son!

I don't really have all that much to say but I've been told my posts are too sporadic and that I need to "get it together" so here we are. I've also been told that I need to come home and if I could leave Monday, I really would! Stamford needs me and I need Stamford!

Earlier as I walked to the supermarket nearby, 50 euros in various denominations fell out of my pocket. I realized I didn't have the cash when I got to Albert Heijn, but figured I'd left it at home somewhere. When I got back, I couldn't find it at all and thought I was losing my mind! A few hours later, on my way to get my bike from the shop, I find both 20s, and both 5s scattered about all down our street and the park across from us! I was shocked when I discovered the first 20 and couldn't believe my luck in finding all the rest. I hope this is a sign of future good fortune.

ALOE BLACC= my current musical OBSESSION. I've been listening to the album for the past few weeks and I love it wholeheartedly. Peep the song & video for "I Need a Dollar" and a bit of "So Hard":


In other news, I picked up our visas for Kenyeezy yesterday and soon we'll get shots.  Mosquitoes have always found me irresistible but hopefully I'll be malaria and yellow fever free upon our return. It'll be grand to get away for a while and see a new part of this great big world. I can't believe we'll be there in less than a month!!! It'll be September when we're back and by then Lizzy will be back too, woo hoo!

Kettia arrived this morning! We had breakfast and lunch and she is now taking a nap. Perhaps later we'll have dinner in one of the many neighborhood parks on one of the canals and relax. Tomorrow we'll spend the day in the city center and exploring good old Rotterdam as a warm-up to Amsterdam this weekend! Maybe I'll finally get around to doing some touristy things like seeing Anne Frank house. But chances are we'll probably just meander about, making new friends, memories, and having strange encounters.

These next few weeks will be really good for my spirit. My recent high level of homesickness has left me feeling bamboozled because being here makes me happy and I'm getting to experience and see things that I've always wanted to. But being able to see friendly familiar faces and people I genuinely care for and love will be a welcome gift. Not to mention being able to get away with my Micky Mozzarella, seeing wild animals in their natural habitats and exploring a different culture. LIFE DOES NOT SUCK.