Monday, May 17, 2010

omnia mea mecum porto

Self discovery is an amazing thing. These past few years of my life have been like a dream. I got to venture to the most fantastically beautiful places. I was exposed to so many different cultures, peoples, ideologies, traditions, and ways of life. I've had the pleasure of seeing places that people only dream of seeing and that not too long ago, I dreamed of seeing. I met the greatest people who have really contributed to my growth as a person and I learned to stop caring about trivial things and plastic people that weren't helping Darline develop. It feels good to box all that shit out.

Living on another continent, in a different culture with someone who's from a different place completely, has really made me wake the fuck up. Initially, learning to adapt was quite difficult. I was used to a certain lifestyle at home, often blinded by materialism and petty obsessions that tend to plague those in my age group. But with all these new experiences, I've truly realized that so much of that stuff isn't important at all. Don't get me wrong, I will always love to buy new things and treat myself but that no longer consumes me. I will gladly forsake a new pair of shoes in exchange for a trip to somewhere I've never seen.. in exchange for new mental imagery.

[Not that I need to explain myself on my own blog but I don't want this to be misconstrued as me putting myself on a pedestal or thinking I'm better than anyone; it's more about self realization & reflections on the inner developments that have been ongoing with me over the years. I've grown to really love this little heart of mine and it's made my relationships and interactions with people a lot more genuine. I'm less tolerant of the people/things I don't want in my life and it's marvelous! ]

The best part is that I even though I'm so far from all that I've ever known, I feel the most comfortable and secure in myself and my abilities than I ever have before. I feel like I haven't lost any part of myself that didn't need to go. I still hold the fundamental values instilled in me by my family true to my heart. I still have my sense of adventure and I'm still impressed by nature's simplicity and wonder. I am content with myself, my loved ones, and my life... & that is not quantitative.

all that I own, I carry with me*