Tuesday, September 2, 2008

The Circle of Life

I'm usually not one for sentiment but honestly, there is not much else in this world more fulfilling and heartwarming than positive interactions with children. When my host family asked me whether or not it was difficult to leave my family and friends, my initial response was yea, kinda. I knew I was gonna miss all that I've grown accustomed to in the US but I was super-mega-turbo excited to experience a different land and culture. These past few days have made it clear that coming out here was the right decision. I friggin LOVE these kids and the family!!

Yesterday was my first official day of 'work'. Tijn (pronounced Tang; what a rude awakening I had, here I was pronouncing it Tijjin) came up to my room around 10:30 with my balloon in his hand and says, 'Darline backdjfe jdiisl jdjdjd?' Of course I have no idea what he said but consider the visual as the equivalent to what I heard. I got showered and went downstairs to join the kids, Eline, and her girlfriend who was visiting. I forget the other woman's name but I would've killed a small puppy for her boots! If I had a charged camera, I would've taken a photo but believe me, they were fabulous. I colored with Tijn for a bit while enjoying a cup of delicious coffee and before I knew it, it was lunch time. Eline bought some yummy bread, laid out about 8 kinds of sandwich meat, green leaves, tomato and fresh mozzarella cheese. After lunch Tijn and I got busy making him a pirate ship! I built it of course but then he, Lara, and I painted and decorated it. I farted around on the internet after before coming downstairs to help the kids with dinner. I then successfully set up a skype account (get @ me!!) and lounged around til my host dad, Thomas, came home from work, read the kids a bedtime story and then the grown-ups had dinner. Eline made some kind of salmon stir fry and it was really really good. We stayed downstairs and shot the breeze til bedtime.

This morning, I woke up around 7:30 to help get the kids dressed and ready for the day. By that time they were already ready so I played with them for a few then went downstairs for breakfast. I was exhausted since I'd spent much of last night watching King of Queens episodes on youtube and listening to music but luckily Lara and Tijn went to school and Pim was sleeping so I only had to watch over Niek (Neek) who was surprisingly well behaved. When Tijn came home he wanted to do handicrafts. He is a HUGE fan of the Lion King and Eline told me that she'd made him a lion out of clay that he loved but unfortunately, Niek threw it out the back door and broke it. So today I made him another one and he LOVED it. He said it was the most beautiful lion he'd ever seen and even had Eline help him tell me that I am the most 'beautiful and sweet darline ever' and that I was his 'best friend'. My heart damn near oozed out of my chest! There's nothing like the love only a kid is capable of giving. He was so happy and excited and genuine and innocent; I almost shed a tear. His birthday is October 14th and I'm having my sister look into an awesome gift for him!