Sunday, August 31, 2008

Welkom to Heemstede!

I'M HERE!!! I can't believe I'm actually physically here! The plane ride was slightly uncomfortable because no one around me spoke English and the girl next to me's father kept hovering over me to talk to her (I had an aisle seat). This would have been more enjoyable for me if he'd taken the time that morning to apply anti-perspirant. Other than that I enjoyed myself, watching movies on my personal TV located in the headseat of the person in front of me and reading some American rags. The flight was way shorter than I thought and we landed at about 6:10AM Netherlands time so 12:10AM US. Eline met me at the airport and she is gorgeous and fashionable and very very sweet. I can't believe she has four kids! Speaking of her kids, they are UNREAL cute/beautiful/charismatic/smart and I'm already in love with them. They try and have conversation with me in Dutch and sometimes I can guess what they're saying if they point. I love their voices and the way they say my name, especially Tijn.

Since my flight was so early, the kids didn't come to the airport but they were waiting for me when I got home with a welcome sign and i just wanted to gobble them uppppp! If I hadn't forgotten my USB cord like a jackass, I'd have some visuals but alas, I'm an idiot. I didn't even bring my camera charger either. I met the dad and most of the kids but Pim, the 6 month old, was sleeping. I stayed downstairs and chatted/played for a while but fatigue eventually set in and I had to retire to my room on the 4th floor (I'm coming back to the US thinner). It's really spacious and open and I have the entire floor to myself which is awesome. I just woke up from my nap and although I'd really like to shower, the family is taking advantage of the rare gorgeous day (mother nature knew I was coming) at the beach. If I do decide to go that would defeat the purpose of showering, as I'm sure my butt crack and just about every other crevice of my body would be occupied by sand and whatever else the kids will surely want to put on it.

Stay tuned for more updates cuz my life is about to get more captivating <3

and by stay tuned, I mean keep reading. So by the time I woke up from my "nap", the family had already returned. I took a shower and helped the kids get dressed after they showered. Then the 4 of us (Pim was sleeping) pulled out a buncha toys and instruments and pretty much started our own band. These kids are seriously, unbelievably cute (it's ridiculous). After that, they were put to bed which is awesome since I want to say that was around 7:30ish. Jaime also came over and we all went outside to the backyard for a barbecue. After that, Jaime and I ventured out for some ice cream. We had to take bikes to get there and now I'm positive I'll come back to the US in much better shape because my bike was so difficult to ride that Jaime had to lend me hers! We're on the market for a new one for me, but I'll post pictures of my whip when I can so you all can see what I'm dealing with.

Jaime's town, Haarlem, is literally 8 minutes away from me by bike and maybe 5 minutes further down the road are an abundance of shops, eateries and even a church (who knows, maybe I'll rekindle my religious flame). We met up with Jaime's Brazilian au pair friend, Mayra, who was very kind and knew her way around very well. We went and got delicious ice cream and besides me almost being run down by oncoming traffic (I've really got to practice stopping and starting on a bike; it's been quite some time), I'd say the night went swell. I'm extrememly exhausted but Eline told me I can sleep in as late as I want tomorrow so I'll probably take her up on that offer.

bonsoir! (idk how to say it in Dutch yet ;-p