Thursday, October 16, 2008

hearts, stars & horseshoes... clovers & blue moons!

I'd been having toothaches for the past few weeks and I finally went to the dentist yesterday. The news is not good. I have a big ass wisdom tooth trying to force its way through my gums as well as an infection. In addition, I need a root canal for a side molar I broke here a few weeks ago. That sounds bad but it really isn't painful at all, it's the wisdom tooth that kills. Thankfully, I'll have painkillers by the end of today.

In other news, things with the family are going relatively well. Nonetheless, things are not all flowers and Hallmark cards; I do have a few qualms. The biggest nuisance is my break time. Each weekday I'm suppose to have designated time to do whatever I like sans the children. Unfortunately this does not always happen. Don't get me wrong, I generally enjoy being with the children but I also like to just relax, take a nap, maybe even going to the gym I'm paying monthly for, whatever. I know you're probably wondering why I am complaining but not being able to communicate well with them can make things difficult & tiring. I feel like events are consistently planned during my break time and I find myself feeling guilty for wanting to leave. I wish more of an effort was made to stick to the schedule we made. The sad thing is that I really don't mind but I feel like it's already become a regular occurrence.

whoa. holy hailstorm outside.

Anyway, perhaps it was my upbringing that makes things more difficult for me to deal with here. I think it's great that the kids are encouraged to do things themselves but if they could do everything, I wouldn't need to be here. I feel like they're spoiled and lack some discipline and have too much control over everything.

I just feel like all these small things are building up and getting on my nerves. It's hard for me to interact with the family sometimes because I'm irritated by things that I feel should not be happening on almost a daily basis. The fact that I really like Thomas, Eline and the kids makes bringing up these points quite difficult. I'd like to maintain the good relationship I have with them, especially since it's not like I can really "leave work at work". I live here! Plus they really are good, kind, caring people.

I hate complaining so I'll stop. Tomorrow we leave for Belgium and I'm terribly excited! I'm leaving around 12ish which means I'm not working for much of the day and I can't wait to be in a different place, experiencing new things. We're going to Brussels tomorrow and spending the night there before going to Antwerp on Saturday. I hear Antwerp is very lively and will hopefully return with good memories and awesome purchases.

In case any of you needed further reason to vote this election, take a look at the following two videos concerning a potential VICE PRESIDENT/PRESIDENT of the entire UNITED STATES:



This one is of comedic genius Tina Fey doing a DEAD ON impersonation (thanks Anthony!)



Preliminary plans are being made for me to return to the states for a week sometime around the 3rd week of May. I'd love to see my loved ones so you can start buying me gifts now! I bought some postcards this week so if I like you enough, expect one in the mail. Despite all this stuff, I'm still in a good mood. Kudos to me for being awesome! I'm going to have a few celebratory glasses of wine even though it's a little after 2 in the afternoon