Thursday, March 25, 2010

Madrigal Madrid y Toledo

I have put a ring on Spain's finger because I absolutely love it! I went to Barcelona last year and a few weeks ago, I ventured to Espana again to visit Madrid and Toledo and WOW- such beauty, such culture, and you haven't lived until you've had authentic Sangria.

Spaniards also really know how to party, while simultaneously being completely relaxed and seemingly unpretentious. It's custom to have dinner as late as 1 AM and then head out to a club. You party until breakfast time, get something to eat, nap, have lunch, meander about the streets, shop, then head back to your place for a siesta around 7 or 8 (some shops would actually close around this time just to reopen in a few hours!) You wake up, grab a 10/11PM dinner then start the process all over again. SIGN ME UP! The biggest adjustment was learning not to devour too much paella and avoid taking shots of tequila on a full stomach.

We were happy that our room looked exactly like the photos we saw on the web and the location couldn't have been any better. We were a stone's throw from the Puerta de Sol square and within walking distance from countless bars and clubs. The first night, we made it our mission to stop in as many bars as possible and enjoy a shot of tequila in each. It wasn't the best idea we'd ever had but it made for an interesting evening.

We even managed to be up earlier than I'd ever thought possible, enjoying lunch and a stroll in the noonday sun. We did a bit of shopping, took in a Monet art exhibit at the Thyssen Museum and managed to lay out in the sun for an hour, admiring the beautiful scenery and letting the sweet melodies of a nearby guitarist take us away from the hustle and bustle of everyday life. Luckily we walked around for hours, because I ate my weight in food throughout the weekend, and drank my volume in alcoholic beverages. Not to mention the fact that we were eating late in the evening, one night as late as 12 AM!

I also got to see my Brazilian friend, Mayra, who also has moved to Europe to be with the man she loves. They live happily near Toledo, Spain in a beautiful country house with 4 of the sweetest, cutest dogs ever. Toledo is about 25 minutes away from Madrid by Spain, but we felt like we were boarding a plane due to the security! We had to have our bags scanned and there was even a little desk by the door leading to our platform, where employees were waiting to scan our tickets and rip off that little piece like they do with airline tickets. These precautions were necessary after the 2004 Madrid train bombings.

It was great to see them again and it was reassuring to talk to someone going through a similar situation. I could tell Mic really enjoyed the day and that it reminded him of his native Sicily, with the beautiful olive and almond trees. He'll be spending Easter at home so I'm sure he's very excited. Me, not so much. What the hell am I gonna do with myself for the 6 days he's gone?! Oh, I know... I'll devote more time to my book, learning Italiano and wreaking havoc on the streets of Holland!